Workshops in Latin America 2016-2019
During the past four years 2016-2019, Timothy Two Project International has provided theological education to hundreds of ministry leaders in Latin America through a series of four workshops for pastors and church leaders and one workshop for children’s ministry leaders. These workshops are taught by both International Instructors and National Missionary Partners. We give thanks to God and to the faithful donors and prayer partners who have made this possible.
Each workshop trains a group of 10-15 church leaders in the fundamentals of the Christian faith including important topics of doctrinal theology, practical theology and teaching methods. Every participant receives a printed workbook in their own language. These workbooks contain the entire text, illustrations, review questions and application questions that participants can use for further study and for teaching others in their own church, small group or mission. Participants also receive a digital file of each workbook so that they can make fresh copies for their students.
2016 Totals: 2 workshops, 2 countries, 24 participants
- In 2016, God opened the door to Latin America for Timothy Two. As the first Instructor, I (Dan) taught 2 workshops in 2 different countries – Colombia (1) and Haiti (1) – training a total of 24 pastors and church leaders.
2017 Totals: 9 workshops, 4 countries, 63 participants
- In 2017, I taught 7 workshops in 4 different countries – Cuba (4), Belize (1), El Salvador (1) and Peru (1) – training a total of 45 pastors and church leaders.
- My wife, Beth Sonnenberg, taught 1 workshop for children’s ministry and 1 workshop for music ministry leaders in Cuba – training a total of 18 leaders.
2018 Totals: 17 workshops, 5 countries, 107 participants
- In 2018, I taught 10 workshops in 5 different countries – Cuba (2), Belize (2), Peru (2), El Salvador (2) and Haiti (2) – training a total of 60 pastors and church leaders.
- Beth taught 4 workshops for children’s ministry leaders in 3 different countries – Cuba (2), Peru (1) and Haiti (1) – training a total of 40 leaders.
- International Instructor Don Johnson taught 3 workshops in Cuba – training a total of 7 pastors and church leaders.
2019 Totals: 18 workshops, 10 countries, 162 participants
- By the end of 2019, I will have taught 8 workshops in 7 different countries – Belize (1), Cuba (1), El Salvador (1), Ecuador (1), Peru (1), Colombia (1) and Dominican Republic (2) – training a total of 95 pastors and church leaders.
- Beth taught 1 workshop for children’s ministry leaders in the Dominican Republic – training a total of 12 leaders.
- 0ur Latin American National Missionary Partners (indigenous pastors trained and funded by Timothy Two) will have taught 9 workshops in 3 different countries – Cuba (5), Chile (3), and El Salvador (1) – training a total of 65 pastors and church leaders.
2016-2019 Grand Totals: 46 workshops, 10 countries, 219 participants
Summary: During the past four years, the combined efforts of International Instructors and National Missionary Partners will have completed a total of 46 workshops in 10 Latin American countries providing theological education to over 200 pastors and ministry leaders who would otherwise have no access to such training. And each of these leaders, in turn, is equipped to train others in their church, community and nation using the materials provided by Timothy Two. In this way, the Great Commission to “make disciples of all nations” is being fulfilled in this region of the world. To God be the glory!
” …what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also…” ~ 2 Timothy 2:2
God has blessed me with the opportunity to teach women and men how to work more effectively with their children in Latin America. Though much of this region is more advanced than some other parts of the world, they are still very much influenced by old world Catholicism in their ways and its views of Christianity. Many of the Latin American countries teach their children in a traditional manner, that is, with the teacher telling a story and the children sitting and listening.
In our workshop for children’s ministry leaders, we introduce the concept of active learning and train participants to involve the children in the learning process using activities, puppets, play acting, music and games which involve all three learning styles. We also teach tried and true methods of lovingly disciplining children so their classes can be run more effectively. Introducing them to the concept of team-teaching also helps encourage potential new teachers and makes teaching easier by sharing the load.
Haiti has a mix of voodoo and ancestor worship that taints their Christianity. We are pleased to bring solid theology to the churches there. The first Timothy Two workshop for pastors and ministry leaders, “Knowing God,” is used to create a curriculum for children. As teachers and children study the attributes of God they can know Him and worship Him more fully. Helping teachers learn to study God’s word, showing them what materials are available to help in their teaching, giving them information about how children can be taught more effectively at a young age and modelling new teaching styles brings excitement to a task often viewed as challenging to many adults.
I have had the privilege of ministering to teachers in Havana and Palmira, Cuba; Lima, Peru; and, Jacmel, Haiti so far. We also have invitations to teach in new locations in Haiti, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Argentina and Brazil. It brings me great joy to teach children’s ministry leaders who desire to learn and to see the joy in their faces as they learn that teaching children can be a positive, exciting and rewarding experience which can produce much fruit.
What a privilege to teach people who desire to learn and improve their skills. Many of the places we go have very limited resources and it is often overwhelming to see the needs there. I find comfort in knowing that you with your support and Dan and I in our service can help influence and educate God’s precious people in Latin America. Many often feel forgotten by God because of their neediness. When you send missionaries you show that God has not forgotten them and that you care about them. We may not be able to give them a lot of money but we can share what we have learned. That makes a world of difference to those we visit. You care, we care and most importantly GOD cares. Our prayer for each of the countries we visit is that they will use these teaching skills to reach out into their communities and bring in the harvest that is all around them. Thank you so much for your part in what we do. We can’t go without your prayers and support!
Ten young pastors and ministry leaders, including two translators, gathered together with me for four days in Jacmel, Haiti to study and discuss the attributes of God.
Click here to read my full report, see photos of the group and watch video testimonials of two participants of this workshop.
To learn more about the ministry of Timothy Two Project International, click here.
Equipping pastors and ministry leaders in developing nations who have little or no access to Biblical and theological training – so that they might teach others also.
Click here to see the details of my upcoming trips with Timothy Two Project International to equip pastors who have little or no access to theological training in the Caribbean and Latin America.