Equipping Pastors and Ministry Leaders in Latin America
Daniel L. Sonnenberg
As Instructors with Timothy Two, Beth and I equip pastors and children’s ministry leaders in the developing nations of Latin America with the fundamentals of the Christian faith so that they, in turn, can equip others. I also serve as the Regional Director to help coordinate the work of other Instructors in the countries of Mexico, Central America, South America and the Caribbean Islands.
During 2016, I completed my internship in Vietnam and began training pastors in Burma, Haiti and Colombia.
During 2017, I taught a complete series of workshops on four trips to Cuba. My wife, Beth, joined me for the fourth trip to train children’s ministry leaders and music ministry leaders. And I taught Workshop 1 with new groups of pastors and ministry leaders in Belize, Peru and El Salvador.
Timothy Two Instructors equip pastors and church leaders in the majority world who do not have access to formal theological training. We utilize a small-group-teaching-and-discussion method in which attendees, after hearing the lesson, develop their own culturally appropriate illustrations and applications. This not only trains them in systematic and practical theology, but also equips them to train others.
Beth and I are currently in Lima, Peru teaching workshops for pastors and children’s ministry leaders April 7-14. In late February/early March, I taught Workshops 2 and 3 in Belize. In January, Beth and I completed a two week trip to Cuba to teach two new groups of pastors and children’s ministry leaders in western and central Cuba. For details about our past teaching trips, see the Newsletters section below. To receive news about future trips click here to sign up for our email newsletter.
- 3/29/2018: Video of our commissioning service at Myrtle Grove Presbyterian. Newsletter contains a link to the service in which Beth and I were formally commissioned as missionaries by our home church in North Carolina.
- 3/19/2018: Belize trip report, upcoming Peru trip. Info, photos and videos from two workshops taught in Belize and dates for upcoming workshops in Peru for me and Beth.
- 2/7/2018: Cuba Trip Report. Beth and I taught 4 workshops in two different parts of the country.
- 11/23/17: Completed First Workshop, “Knowing God,” in Peru and El Salvador. Report on Peru and El Salvador trips, upcoming trip to Cuba and other plans for 2018.
- 10/20/17: Completed First Workshop, “Knowing God,” in Belize. Report on Belize trip.
- 9/9/17: Preparing for Teaching Trips to 5 Countries. Report on upcoming trips to Belize, Peru, El Salvador, Cuba and Haiti.
- 6/27/17: Cuban Pastors Complete Workshop 4, “Serving God,” Awarded Certificates in Biblical and Theological Foundations. Report on fourth trip to Cuba including Beth’s work teaching children’s ministry and music ministry leaders.
- 5/19/17: Cuban Pastors Complete Workshop 3, “Trusting God.” Report on third trip to Cuba, includes participant prayer requests and video about their families and ministries.
- 4/15/17: Preparing for Cuba Workshop 3. Prayer requests for upcoming trip.
- 3/30/17: Cuban Pastors Complete Workshop 2, “Loving God.” Report and pastor testimonials of how they are already teaching Timothy Two material in their churches and neighborhood.
- 1/29/17: Cuban Pastors Complete Workshop 1, “Knowing God. Report on training the first group of pastors in Cuba (includes videos of pastor testimonials, music, walking the streets of Havana and more).
- 12/15/16: Preparing for Cuba, Mexico, Belize and Other Prayer Requests. Describes preparations for teaching in Cuba, Mexico, Belize and other items.
- 8/20/16: Colombian Pastors & Church Leaders Complete Workshop 1, “Knowing God.” Report after training pastors in Colombia.
- 7/20/16: Haitian Pastors & Ministry Leaders Complete Workshop 1, “Knowing God.” Report after training leaders in Haiti.
- 6/26/16: Teaching Trips to Haiti and Colombia Set for July and August Describes preparations for teaching in Haiti and Colombia.
- 4/20/16: Preparing for Colombia, Pursuing Other Opportunities in Latin America and the Caribbean. Discusses some of the other nations we hope to reach.
- 3/30/16: Vietnamese & Burmese Pastors Complete Workshop 2, “Loving God.” Report after completing my internship in Vietnam and training pastors in Burma.
- 2/5/16: Preparing for Vietnam & Burma. Describes preparations for Vietnam and Burma.
- 1/21/16: Our Beginning with Timothy Two. Describes how I was called to serve in this ministry.
About Timothy Two:
- Our Calling: 2 Timothy 2:2, “…what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.”
- Our Mission: To train national pastors and church leaders in developing nations in the essential doctrines of the faith and to equip them to train others.
- Our Vision: To see the global church of Jesus Christ equipped for the effective ministry of the gospel throughout the world, irrespective of geographical, cultural, financial or political challenges.
- Our Curriculum: Timothy Two Curriculum: Growing in Grace Series Table of Contents lists the theological topics we teach in the four workshops.
- Financial Accountability: Timothy Two is an evangelical, Reformed ministry, organized as a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt, non-profit missions organization, accredited by the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability (ECFA).
- Visit us: Timothy Two Project International
See a sampling of video testimonials by Peruvian, Cuban and Haitian workshop attendees:
Antonio, a youth leader in Peru, tells how the workshop helped him find answers to his students’ many questions.
Coordinating pastors Leo and Esdras share their vision for Timothy Two in Cuba.
Haitian church leader Nicolas Jacksonne after completing a Timothy Two workshop.
- Equipping Pastors in Cuba, Part 4: Photos and report from my fourth teaching trip and Beth’s first teaching trip to Cuba
- Equipping Pastors in Cuba, Part 3: Videos, photos and report from my third teaching trip to Cuba
- Equipping Pastors in Cuba, Part 2: Videos, photos and report from my second teaching trip to Cuba
- Equipping Pastors in Cuba, Part 1: God Opens a Door into Cuba. Article about our first trip to equip pastors in Cuba.
- Why We Serve with Timothy Two Gives the reasons I serve in this ministry.
- Timothy Two Curriculum: Growing in Grace Series Table of Contents Lists the theological topics we teach in the four workshops.
- Dan Sonnenberg, Instructor and Regional Director: Latin America
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cell: +1-910-274-1470
- Beth Sonnenberg, Children’s Ministries and Music Ministries Instructor
- Email: email@example.com
- Cell: +1-910-619-4329
Travel & Prayer Calendar:
- Prayer requests concerning my preparation, travel, teaching and post-trip activities.
- If you have a Google calendar, items from this calendar can be copied to yours. Just click on any item then select “copy to my calendar.”
While continuing to raise financial support for this ministry and when not on the field, I operate a small business called Sonnenberg Painting & Home Repair. See examples of my work on Facebook and Home Advisor. Beth operates a small business caring for elderly people in their homes.
Countries in Which I/We Have Served:
2. MYANMAR (BURMA)
8. EL SALVADOR