In each nation where I have taught all four workshops – Cuba, Belize, Peru and El Salvador – God has called one or two pastors (and some of their wives) to travel to other villages, towns and cities in their own nation to train more pastors.
But now we need help to fund their work. All of our current donors are giving to the account called “Sonnenberg” to support our training the first generation of pastors and ministry leaders in each nation.
In order for these “National Missionary Partners” to train the second generation of pastors, we need a separate stream of donations flowing into the account called “Latin America.”
Below I explain who they are, what they do, and the significant benefits of utilizing these indigenous pastors to help us achieve our goal of training pastors where there is little or no formal theological education available.
Latin American National Missionary PartnersContinue reading
Below are all the workshops and conferences scheduled in Latin America for 2020 to date. Included are workshops taught by me and Beth as well as our National Missionary Partners (*NMPs). I will also help represent Timothy Two at our denomination’s General Assembly in June. All those indicated “Wrkshp 1” are new groups of pastors and ministry leaders beginning their training in 2020.
- Jan 13-17: Trujillo, PERU (*NMP Reynaldo Rubio) Wrkshp 1
- Jan 19-Feb 1: Santa Tecla, EL SALVADOR (*NMP Helmuth Aguilar) Wrkshps 1, 2
- Jan 20-27: Managua, NICARAGUA (*NMP Leonel De La Rosa) Wrkshp 1
- Jan 25-Feb 1: Guayaquil, ECUADOR (Dan/Beth Sonnenberg) Wrkshp 2, Children’s Ministry
- Feb 10-24: Baracoa, CUBA (*NMPs Leo Padrino/Esdras Richardson) Wrkshps 1, 2
- Mar 19-26: Cartagena, COLOMBIA (Dan/Beth Sonnenberg and Intern Dale Brown) Wrkshp 2, Children’s Ministry
- May 17-26: Villa Rio Bermejito, ARGENTINA (Dan Sonnenberg) Wrkshp 1
- Jun 23-27: Memphis, TENNESSEE (Dan Sonnenberg helping with Timothy Two display table at EPC General Assembly)
- Jul 20-26: La Romana, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC (Dan/Beth Sonnenberg) Wrkshp 3, Children’s Ministry
- Oct 12-16: Panama City, PANAMA (Dan Sonnenberg attending conference of 400-500 pastoral trainers working in Latin America and the Caribbean)
- **TBD: Jacmel, HAITI (*NMP Lucien Joseph) Wrkshp 4
- **TBD: Palmira, CUBA (*NMP Ariandys Aguiar) Wrkshps 2, 3, 4
- **TBD: Osorno & Llanquihue, CHILE (*NMP Helmuth Aguilar) Wrkshps 3, 4
- **TBD: San Salvador, EL SALVADOR (*NMP Herbert Portan) Wrkshp 1
- **TBD: Sanatio de Sonomoro & Cashingarani, PERU (*NMP Luis Rojas Espinoza) Wrkshp 2
* NMP. A National Missionary Partner (NMP) is a trusted indigenous pastor who has completed all four workshops and is being sent by Timothy Two to other parts of his nation or neighboring nations to teach the workshops.
**TBD. Date to be determined.
The new edition of Alere, Timothy Two’s annual digital magazine is now available!
You may recall that alere is a Latin word that can mean “to nourish,” “to educate,” or “to cherish.” This sums up what this ministry is all about! We want to nourish people in their faith, teach them about God’s Word, and – above all – let them know that they are cherished – by us and by Christ Jesus, who loved them enough to redeem them from the power of sin and death!
Click here to read the magazine online.
Or click here to download it to your phone, tablet or computer.
Workshops in Latin America 2016-2019
During the past four years 2016-2019, Timothy Two Project International has provided theological education to hundreds of ministry leaders in Latin America through a series of four workshops for pastors and church leaders and one workshop for children’s ministry leaders. These workshops are taught by both International Instructors and National Missionary Partners. We give thanks to God and to the faithful donors and prayer partners who have made this possible.
Each workshop trains a group of 10-15 church leaders in the fundamentals of the Christian faith including important topics of doctrinal theology, practical theology and teaching methods. Every participant receives a printed workbook in their own language. These workbooks contain the entire text, illustrations, review questions and application questions that participants can use for further study and for teaching others in their own church, small group or mission. Participants also receive a digital file of each workbook so that they can make fresh copies for their students.
2016 Totals: 2 workshops, 2 countries, 24 participants
- In 2016, God opened the door to Latin America for Timothy Two. As the first Instructor, I (Dan) taught 2 workshops in 2 different countries – Colombia (1) and Haiti (1) – training a total of 24 pastors and church leaders.
2017 Totals: 9 workshops, 4 countries, 63 participants
- In 2017, I taught 7 workshops in 4 different countries – Cuba (4), Belize (1), El Salvador (1) and Peru (1) – training a total of 45 pastors and church leaders.
- My wife, Beth Sonnenberg, taught 1 workshop for children’s ministry and 1 workshop for music ministry leaders in Cuba – training a total of 18 leaders.
2018 Totals: 17 workshops, 5 countries, 107 participants
- In 2018, I taught 10 workshops in 5 different countries – Cuba (2), Belize (2), Peru (2), El Salvador (2) and Haiti (2) – training a total of 60 pastors and church leaders.
- Beth taught 4 workshops for children’s ministry leaders in 3 different countries – Cuba (2), Peru (1) and Haiti (1) – training a total of 40 leaders.
- International Instructor Don Johnson taught 3 workshops in Cuba – training a total of 7 pastors and church leaders.
2019 Totals: 18 workshops, 10 countries, 162 participants
- By the end of 2019, I will have taught 8 workshops in 7 different countries – Belize (1), Cuba (1), El Salvador (1), Ecuador (1), Peru (1), Colombia (1) and Dominican Republic (2) – training a total of 95 pastors and church leaders.
- Beth taught 1 workshop for children’s ministry leaders in the Dominican Republic – training a total of 12 leaders.
- 0ur Latin American National Missionary Partners (indigenous pastors trained and funded by Timothy Two) will have taught 9 workshops in 3 different countries – Cuba (5), Chile (3), and El Salvador (1) – training a total of 65 pastors and church leaders.
2016-2019 Grand Totals: 46 workshops, 10 countries, 219 participants
Summary: During the past four years, the combined efforts of International Instructors and National Missionary Partners will have completed a total of 46 workshops in 10 Latin American countries providing theological education to over 200 pastors and ministry leaders who would otherwise have no access to such training. And each of these leaders, in turn, is equipped to train others in their church, community and nation using the materials provided by Timothy Two. In this way, the Great Commission to “make disciples of all nations” is being fulfilled in this region of the world. To God be the glory!
” …what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also…” ~ 2 Timothy 2:2
These comments were voiced at the conclusion of Workshop 1, “Knowing God” for pastors and “Developing Children’s Ministry” for children’s ministry leaders in Palmira, Cuba.
- “This material is easy to understand and deep.”
- “To gather material of this type is complicated, lots of work, this is a good tool.”
- “I like the dynamic in the meeting. Other conferences are ok, but this is superior.”
- “It is good to hear from one another, we encourage and edify one another.”
- “It is not just an intellectual meeting, it is edification.”
- “Most methods are merely listening with few opportunities to interact, this method includes much discussion.”
These testimonials were written at the conclusion of Workshop 1, “Knowing God,” in La Romana, Dominican Republic.
JEAN HERARD PIERRE LOUIS. “There is a Proverb in Creol that says knowledge is a blessing. Knowing something about God, that means you have more blessing from him. Therefore, I give praise to the Lord for being part of this workshop. I learned many things about God. May God bless you and give you a longer life…with all your family. We love you in Jesus’ name.”
CHARLES PHILOGENE. “First, I give thanks to the Lord for the workshop. I learned a lot about Scripture, so thanks to God. I am more self-confident about what I know from God through you. Bless you so deep Pastor Dan and your family.”
NELSON MARIE GUELDINE. “It’s a grace and a great blessing for me to have the privilege to increase my knowledge about my true God. Bless you, Pastor.”
The soundtrack “Dubakupado” is licensed under a Creative Commons License. http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/index.html?isrc=USUAN1100834Artist: http://incompetech.com/
Timothy Two Project, International exists to serve a critical need around the world. We are committed to equipping and training indigenous pastors and ministry leaders with the essential truths of the Christian faith so that they can train others. This way, the mandate from Christ in the Great Commission to “make disciples” can be accomplished in areas of the world where there is little or no formal biblical and theological training available.
I will be teaching Workshop 4 in Independence, BELIZE February 11-16 with the group in the first photo coordinated by Steve Kohl.
I will be teaching Workshop 1 in Las Tunas, CUBA March 18-23 with a new group of pastors in a new city coordinated by Leo and Esdras in the second photo.
Please keep me in your prayers. Support my work in eleven cities in nine Latin American countries http://bit.ly/2LvuTby.
What is a “National Missionary Partner” and what do they do?
A Timothy Two “National Missionary Partner” is an indigenous pastor who has always lived in Asia, Africa or Latin America, who has completed the series of four Timothy Two workshops, and who is then sent to other towns and cities in his own country to teach those workshops to other groups of pastors. We call them “national” missionaries because they serve among their own people. By contrast, others of us would be referred to as “international” missionaries because we serve in many countries throughout a particular region. We call these pastors missionary “partners” because they extend our ability to reach other pastors within each country. They have contacts in other regions, cities and towns who also need these workshops.
The advantages of National Missionary Partners
There are three definite advantages to having National Missionary Partners work with us: 1) their travel expenses are lower than ours because they
are able to use local means of transportation instead of flying ; 2) there is no need or expense for an interpreter because they already speak the local language; and, 3) they are already familiar with the people and their culture so that the teaching is properly contextualized.
The funding of National Missionary Partners
You can now make donations online or by check for the work of our National Missionary Partners in Latin America (Cuba, Haiti, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Belize, Peru, Chile), East and Central Africa, North India, and Myanmar. These donations will fund all the Partners in each region on an “as needed” basis coordinated by the Regional Directors: Bryan Slater – Africa; Steve Curtis – Asia; and, Dan Sonnenberg – Latin America.
You can “adopt” a Region
Thus, you can virtually “adopt” a Region to financially support the work of all the National Missionary Partners there. It is much less expensive to send national pastors than it is to send someone from the USA. Thus, a donation of $45 provides one workshop for one pastor. $450 provides one workshop for 10-12 pastors. $1800 provides a complete series of four workshops for 10-12 pastors. With every donation, you are helping to train pastors in the fundamentals of the faith and providing the materials they can use to train others in their own churches, cities, and nation. We thank God for these Partners who are willing to put in the extra time and effort to train fellow pastors among their own people. And we thank you for your prayers and financial support on their behalf.
“And they sang a new song, saying, ‘Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation, and you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God, and they shall reign on the earth.”‘ (Revelation 5:9-10)
God has blessed me with the opportunity to teach women and men how to work more effectively with their children in Latin America. Though much of this region is more advanced than some other parts of the world, they are still very much influenced by old world Catholicism in their ways and its views of Christianity. Many of the Latin American countries teach their children in a traditional manner, that is, with the teacher telling a story and the children sitting and listening.
In our workshop for children’s ministry leaders, we introduce the concept of active learning and train participants to involve the children in the learning process using activities, puppets, play acting, music and games which involve all three learning styles. We also teach tried and true methods of lovingly disciplining children so their classes can be run more effectively. Introducing them to the concept of team-teaching also helps encourage potential new teachers and makes teaching easier by sharing the load.
Haiti has a mix of voodoo and ancestor worship that taints their Christianity. We are pleased to bring solid theology to the churches there. The first Timothy Two workshop for pastors and ministry leaders, “Knowing God,” is used to create a curriculum for children. As teachers and children study the attributes of God they can know Him and worship Him more fully. Helping teachers learn to study God’s word, showing them what materials are available to help in their teaching, giving them information about how children can be taught more effectively at a young age and modelling new teaching styles brings excitement to a task often viewed as challenging to many adults.
I have had the privilege of ministering to teachers in Havana and Palmira, Cuba; Lima, Peru; and, Jacmel, Haiti so far. We also have invitations to teach in new locations in Haiti, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Argentina and Brazil. It brings me great joy to teach children’s ministry leaders who desire to learn and to see the joy in their faces as they learn that teaching children can be a positive, exciting and rewarding experience which can produce much fruit.
What a privilege to teach people who desire to learn and improve their skills. Many of the places we go have very limited resources and it is often overwhelming to see the needs there. I find comfort in knowing that you with your support and Dan and I in our service can help influence and educate God’s precious people in Latin America. Many often feel forgotten by God because of their neediness. When you send missionaries you show that God has not forgotten them and that you care about them. We may not be able to give them a lot of money but we can share what we have learned. That makes a world of difference to those we visit. You care, we care and most importantly GOD cares. Our prayer for each of the countries we visit is that they will use these teaching skills to reach out into their communities and bring in the harvest that is all around them. Thank you so much for your part in what we do. We can’t go without your prayers and support!
- Our Calling: 2 Timothy 2:2, “…what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.”
- Our Mission: To train local pastors and church leaders in developing nations in the essential doctrines of the faith and to equip them to train others.
- Our Vision: To see the global church of Jesus Christ equipped for the effective ministry of the gospel throughout the world, irrespective of geographical, cultural, financial or political challenges.
- Our Curriculum: Timothy Two Curriculum: Growing in Grace Series Table of Contents lists the theological topics we teach in the four workshops.
- Financial Accountability: Timothy Two is an evangelical, Reformed ministry, organized as a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt, non-profit missions organization, accredited by the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability (ECFA).
- Visit us/Donate: Timothy Two Project International