Notes from a recent meeting with Mike Ashcraft, pastor of Port City Community Church in Wilmington, NC. Not direct quotes, but a summary of our conversation about church planting.
1. The vision for founding of PC3: a church for people who are not sure about God
2. Must have a clear VISION
- everything flows from that
- say only things that are true
- be clear on your mission
- ask yourself, “what do you want to happen to those people?”
- ask, “whose mission is it? is it everyone’s or just the pastor’s?”
- know who you are
- when you reach a barrier: ask, “what’s really happening here?”
3. A great church is known by the IMPACT it has on the community
- is it mobilizing people into ministry?
- staff should not be doing something a volunteer could be doing
- move from maintenance to mission
- not just volunteering but owning the ministry
- ask how you can leverage your influence for greater impact